PhD candidate (SNSF) in digital humanities
- Expected start date: February 1st, 2022
- Contract length: 1 year, renewable for 3 years, total maximum of 4 years
- Activity rate: 100%
- Workplace: Lausanne-Dorigny
Application deadline: November 15, 2021
In the context of the SNSF project Towards Computational Historiographical Modeling: Corpora and Concepts (PI: Michael Piotrowski) we are looking for a highly motivated PhD candidate in digital humanities. The project is in line with a research program that aims to develop epistemological and methodological foundations for digital humanities.
The focus of your work will be on the investigation of corpora as models and the elaboration of a doctoral thesis in the field of the project. Research questions include: How do corpora model and produce phenomena? What are commonalities and differences between different types of corpora? How can corpora-as-models be formally described in order to take their properties into account for research that makes use of them? While these are general issues in digital humanities, the project will examine them in the context of historical research in particular.
85% of the activity rate is dedicated to the preparation of the thesis linked to the project and 15% dedicated to supporting research activities linked to the project.
- MA in digital humanities, a historical discipline, philosophy of science, or equivalent (master in hand at the start of the position).
- Marked interest in epistemological questions and methodology, historiography, and theory of history.
- Interest in digital humanities, computational modeling, and interdisciplinary research.
- Willingness to write a thesis in these areas.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently; willing to collaborate in a diverse and multilingual environment.
- Excellent spoken and written English. French language skills are not required, but a working knowledge of French would be useful (the work environment is French-speaking); knowledge of German would be an advantage.
Offical job posting
For the official job posting and the application link, please go to
Only applications submitted via this site will be considered.
Contact for further information
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Michael Piotrowski firstname.lastname@example.org