via Dr. Grigory Kessel
The Institute for Medieval Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, is seeking a
Digital Humanist (f/m; 50%)
with experience in XML-technologies and the development of language corpora.
You will join an internationally networked team, pursuing research on the border between up-to-date ICT and humanities studies in the context of the ERC Starting Grant Project HUNAYNNET – Transmission of Classical Scientific and Philosophical Literature from Greek into Syriac and Arabic (PI: Dr Grigory Kessel) housed at the Division of Byzantine Research of the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Your core responsibilities will comprise the modelling of a multilingual parallel corpus (Greek, Syriac, Arabic), development of a suitable editing interface for text-linking, as well as the evaluation and application of NLP technologies.
We expect a knowledge in two or more of the following areas:
- Development of (parallel) language corpora,
- XML and cognate technologies (XSLT, XPath and/or XQuery),
- Experience with database management (SQL, XML-DBs, NoSQL) and/or corpus query engines.
Ideally (but not necessarily) you have experience with:
- Natural Language Processing on classical languages,
- digital lexicography,
- the Guidelines of the Text Encoding Initiative and/or
- RTL writing systems.
- residency in Vienna,
- willingness to work in a team distributed between Germany and Austria,
- a high degree of creativity and a willingness to engage in new emerging technologies,
- hands-on experience in designing and implementing responsive Web sites and
- excellent communication skills,
- fluency in English.
According to the Collective Agreement of the Austrian Academy of Science, the gross salary for 100% employment will be EUR 38.018,40 per year with the possibility of overpayment depending on the qualification.
The employment will start at the earliest date possible and will run for one year in the first instance. This position is open until filled. The contract can be extended.
The Austrian Academy of Sciences is an equal opportunities employer.
Please send your application (including cover letter, CV, list of publications and URLs of reference projects) by email to Grigory Kessel at firstname.lastname@example.org