The Department of Language and Information Sciences of the Faculty of Arts of the University of Lausanne (UNIL) is looking for a postdoc (SNSF senior researcher) in digital humanities.
- Expected start date in position:
- February 1st, 2020 or March 1st, 2020
- Contract length:
- One year or 11 months respectively, not renewable
- Activity rate
The successful candidate will work on the Spark project “An Agile Approach Towards Computational Modeling of Historiographical Uncertainty” funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF). The project aims to develop a taxonomy of historiographical uncertainty, which can serve as a basis for a computational formalization in a follow-up project.
Your main tasks would be:
- To develop of an analytical framework for historical narratives in collaboration with the PI.
- To define a historiographical case study that has a “high density” of uncertainty (typically indicated by ongoing historical controversies); the exact field of the case study is for you to propose.
- To apply the analytical case study for the detailed analysis of the case study. In particular, the project aims to (1) identify uncertainty, (2) analyze the locus of uncertainty in the narrative (which entities or relations are concerned?), and (3) examine its historiographical handling (e.g., what arguments or evidence are presented to support or refute a particular interpretation?).
- To develop a semi-formal taxonomy of historiographical uncertainty based on the insights produced by the case study, and to document the project.
- To contribute to the development of a follow-up project (for submission to the SNSF).
- PhD in digital humanities with a historical orientation or PhD in a historical discipline.
- Marked interest in methodology, historiography, and theory of history.
- Interest in digital humanities, modeling, and interdisciplinary research.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently; willing to collaborate in a multilingual environment.
- Excellent spoken and written English. A working knowledge of French is not necessary but would be useful; knowledge of German would be an advantage.
What the position offers you
We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. Opportunities for professional training, a lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
Contact for further information
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Michael Piotrowski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Deadline: January 6, 2020
Please use the online system to submit your complete application in PDF format. The application should contain:
- A cover letter; please outline how this position fits in with your career plans.
- A curriculum vitae including a list of publications.
- Copies of your degree certificates.
- Your best publication (if you are not the sole author, please indicate your personal contribution).
- A concise proposal (max. 1 page) for a case study for the project.
Only applications through the online system will be taken into account.
We thank you for your understanding.