DARIAH, the Digital Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities, is a pan-European organization, which aims to enhance and support digitally-enabled research and teaching across the humanities and arts. DARIAH is formally an ERIC, a European Research Infrastructure Consortium and is one of only 29 Landmarks on the Roadmap of the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures. To date, 17 countries – Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, The Netherlands, Serbia and Slovenia have become Members, while we also have a growing number of Cooperating Partners. DARIAH is therefore both an ambitious and still expanding organization.
We are looking to appoint two part-time members of the Board of Directors from 01 January 2017, who will work closely with the third member, who is the Chair of the Board. The Board of Directors is the executive body of DARIAH and its legal representative, also providing strategic leadership for our activities.
You will be:
- an active researcher with significant experience with the application of digital methods to arts and humanities research.
- an inspirational and visionary leader, with a proven track record of managing national and international organisations or projects.
If you wish to apply, please send an email to the DARIAH-EU Coordination Office, firstname.lastname@example.org including:
- a 2-3 page CV, outlining your research activities and strategic leadership experience
- a covering letter in support of your application
- The names and contact details of at least two referees
- a 2-3 page document outlining your vision for DARIAH for the next 3 years.
The closing date for applications is: Friday, 29 July 2016.
The appointment of the new members of the Board of Directors is expected by September, to serve from 01 January 2017.
For informal enquiries please contact:
Laurent Romary, President of the Board of Directors, DARIAH ERIC:
Jacques Dubucs, Scientific Director, French Ministry of Higher Education and Research and Chair, DARIAH-EU General Assembly:
Role and Responsibilities
The Board of Directors is the executive body of the DARIAH ERIC and its legal representative. It is composed normally of three directors, who are appointed by, and accountable, to the General Assembly as the representation of all member states. The DARIAH-EU Coordination Office supports the Board of Directors in its work. Further details about the DARIAH ERIC organisational structure can be found at: http://www.dariah.eu/about/organisation.html
The responsibilities of the Board of Directors are:
- To provide leadership for DARIAH ERIC and propose its strategic objectives and directions
- To be the legal representative of the DARIAH ERIC signing all contracts, agreements and other binding documents, on behalf of the DARIAH ERIC
- To represent DARIAH ERIC before all European, international and national authorities and courts and function as its primary contact
- To ensure the availability of adequate financial resources and prepare the budget
- To oversee the Internal Rules of Procedure for the day-to-day operation of the DARIAH ERIC
- To monitor DARIAH ERIC’s performance in relation to its strategic objectives
- To publish the annual report
- To supervise the Senior Management Team
- To manage and employ members of the DARIAH-EU Coordination Office (DCO)
- To appoint the Chair of the Joint Research Committee
- To oversee the organisation of the Virtual Competency Centres including approving their creation, amendment or dissolution or appointing the VCC Chairs and associated VCC Heads after consultation with the Senior Management Team
Terms and Conditions
Each director will be appointed initially for a term of up to three years. Up to €50,000 is available per year to fund each director’s contribution to DARIAH for 50% of her or his time. It is anticipated that DARIAH-EU directors will be seconded from their home institution but in exceptional circumstances a direct contract with the DARIAH ERIC can also be considered.